Villa Architecture: a Collection of Views, with Plans, of Buildings Executed in England, Scotland, &c.
- London: J. Taylor, 1828.
- Abbey Life 33; Archer 195.1; Bobins 679.
FIRST EDITION. Folio, half title, dedication, preface, text. 42 plates; 15 plates are line engravings, others hand coloured aquatints, in contemporary half green straight grained morocco over marbled boards, gilt to spine. Boards rubbed and worn, corners bumped. This work demonstrates designs which had already been executed. Luger wrote: "An architects choice of style should be determined by two factors, the general form of the landscape, and the scenery immediately surrounding the site". His designs ensured that the arramgement of rooms did not invade the privacy indispensable to a country residence and then accommodated subordinate offices, the kitchen-garden, the stables, the approaches, the plantations conveniently.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Mr. Okill's Lodge, near Liverpool.
2. East Horsely Park, near Leatherhead, Surry - designed for William Currie Esq.
3. Entrance Lodge at St. Margarets, Isleworth - built for the Earl of Cassillis.
4. Bailiff's Cottage built for William Blundell Esq, Crosby Hall near Liverpool.
5. Greenhouse, Barr near Birmingham. Designed for Sir Joseph Scott Bart.
6. Lodge, Kirby Hall, near Borobridge, Yorkshire. Built for R.J. Thompson Esq.
7. Bailiff's House and Lodge built for John Ashton Case Esq near Liverpool.
8. Farm House & Offices near Belfast, [N] Ireland - built for Mr. Thompson.
9. Cottage designed for P.B. Ainslie Esq - near Liverpool.
10. Puckaster, Isle of Wight, built fir James Vine Esq.
11. The Reverend Dr. Johnson. Yaxham Parsonage - Norfolk.
12. School House for the Parish of Yaxham,, Norfolk.
13. Farm House near Brecon, South Wales - designed for Mr. R. Dawson.
14. F.E. Morrice Esq - Betshanger,near Sandwich, Kent.
15. Oxney, near Deal in Kent. Property of John May Esq.
16. New Laithes near Leeds - Charles Greenwood Esq.
17. Swinton Park. Yorkshire. The Seat of William Danby Esq.
18-19. Hensol near Castle Douglas in the County of Kirkcudbrightshire, built for John Cunninghame Esq.
20. Glennlee near Castle Douglas - the residence of the Rt. Hon. Lady Ashburton, New Galloway, Ayrshire.
21. Warley near Birmingham - built for Hubert Galton Esq.
22. Lodge at Warley near Birmingham built for Hubert Galton Esq.
23-24. Alterations & additions to the Tor-Warley (Banqueting-Room) in the Grounds at Warley near Birmingham built for Hubert Galton Esq.
25. Markgate Cell, near St. Alban's, Hertfordshire, belonging to Daniel Goodson Adey Esq.
26. Cyfarthfa Castle, Glamorganshire, South Wales. Built for William Crawshay Esq.