Views on the Shores of the Mediterranean.
- London: Dickinson and Co., New Bond St, 1847.
- Not in Abbey, Atabey or Tooley; Bobins 134; Blackmer 482.
Large Folio. FIRST & ONLY EDITION. Litho dedication to Queen Victoria, 24 lithographed plates, of which 20 are hand coloured. Half brown morocco over cloth gilt. Gilt to spine. Plates illustrated are mostly in Greece and Asia Minor (Turkey). In 1844 Devereux, the captain of the sloop 'Snake' assisted a Mr Alison of the British Embassy at Constantinople to examine the sculptures of the castle at Bodrum.
Coloured plates in order:
1-2. Views in Corfu.
3. Mount Parnassus, from the Scala di Salona.
4. Cyclopean Arch, Delos.
5. Gate of the Lions, Mycenae.
6. Temple of Jupiter.
8. Salonica and Mount Olympus.
9. Ruins of Philippi.
10. Plain of Philippi.
11. Troad, to the Dardanelles.
12. Ephesus from the Theatre of Claros.
13. The Heraum, Samos.
15-18. [Four sets of] Sculptures in low relief from the Castle at Boodroum (three to a plate).
19. Rock Tombs at Telmessus.
20. Macri from the Theatre of Telmessus.
21. Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives.
22. Convent of the Nativity, Bethlehem.
23. The Colletta of Tunis.
24. Ancient Cisterns at Carthage.