Views of Ancient Monuments in Central America, Chiapas and Yucatan.
- London: F. Catherwood, 1844.
- Sabin 11520; Palau 50290; Tooley 133; Bobins 07.
- XL=elephant folio
Large folio, chromolithographed title by Owen Jones, dedication, 24pp, 26 hand coloured lithographed plates mounted on 25 cards after sketches by the author. Preserved in a green morocco backed cloth box, spine gilt lettered within a decorative gilt frame, text in original yellow wrappers. Only 300 copies printed. "The letterpress is by John Stephens with whom Catherwood travelled throughout the region described from 1839. "In a real sense they were the people who rediscovered the glories of the Mayan civilisation, which had remained hidden, overgrown by jungle, for a thousand years. Catherwood's illustrations convey the beauty and mystery of these forgotten treasures as well as combining the earliest depictions in modern times" (Sabin).
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. [Idol at Copan.]
3. [Pyramidal Building and Fragments of Sculpture at Copan.]
4. [Back of an Idol, at Copan.]
5. [Broken Idol at Copan.]
6. [Idol and Altar at Copan.]
7. [General View of Palenque.]
8. [Principal Court of the Palace at Palenque / Interior of Casa No. III Palenque.]
9. [General View of Las Monjas, ay Uxmal.]
10. [Ornament over principal doorway, Casa del Gobernados, Uxmal.]
11. Archway: Casa del Gobernados, Uxmal.]
12. [Gateway of the great Teocallis, Uxmal.]
13. [Ornament over the gateway of the great Teocallis, Uxmal.]
14. [General View of Uxmal, taken from the Archway of Las Monjas, looking south.]
15. [Portion of a Building; Las Monjas, Uxmal.]
16. [Portion of La Casa de Las Monjas, Uxmal.]
17. [General View of Kabah.]
18. [Interior of the principal building at Kabah.]
19. [Well and building at Sabachtsche.]
20. [Gateway at Laborah.]
21. [Well at Bolonchen.]
22. [Las Monjas, Chichen-Itza.]
23. [Teocallis, at Chichen-Itza.]
24. [Castle, at Tuloom.]
25. [Temple at Tuloom.]
26. [Colossal Head at Izamal.]