KERSHAW, Capt. James.
Views in the Burman Empire.
- London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1831.
- Abbey Travel 406; Bobins 797.
FIRST EDITION. Two volumes comprising a 4to text volume and atlas in oblong folio. A presentation copy, each volume is inscribed on the upper wrapper "to Miss E. Page with Mr. Kershaw's kind regards March 9, 1832". 10 hand coloured aquatint plates, in (frail) original brown printed paper wrappers, for plate volume these are detached, slight tape marks to title of text and verso of final leaf, upper wrappers chipped, with small loss, not affecting text, preserved in a modern brown cloth chemise, and brown cloth box, with matching silk ties. Bookplate of 'Robert & Maria Travis'.
Coloured plates in order:
1. North face of the Great Pagoda, Prome.
2. View from the West face of the Great Pagoda, Prome.
3. Rangoon from the Anchorage.
4. View from Brigadier McCregh's Pagoda, Rangoon.
5. Dagon Pagoda, near Rangoon, taken from the Lines of H.M. 13th & 38th Regiments.
6. Dagon Pagoda, near Rangoon.
7. Prome, from the South heights.
8. Prome, from the heights occupied by H.M. 13th Light Infantry.
9. Melloon from the British Position.