SALT, Henry Havell Robert.
Twenty-four Views in St. Helena, The Cape, India, Ceylon, Abyssinia & Egypt.
- London: William Miller, 1809.
- Abbey Travel 515; Tooley 440; Bobins 112.
Large oblong folio, 25 hand coloured aquatint plates, unfolded in early nineteenth century marbled boards, dark red morocco ruled borders, single gilt fillet and ornate outer gilt border. Matching title label in gilt to upper board. Gilt edges, marbled endpapers. Bobins bookplate. A STUNNING COPY, THE RARELY FOUND EARLY ISSUE. Sepia Aquatint title and twenty four spectacular hand coloured plates in brilliant original colour. The largest format of all the English plate books. Examples are seldom found with early watermarks. The colouring in these early copies is distinctly superior, a more muted and subtle palette being employed. Henry Salt accompanied Lord Valentia on his travels. Plates were drawn by H. Salt, and engraved by D. Havell.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Sandy Bay Valley in the island of St. Helena.
2. A view near the Roode Sand Pass at the Cape of Good Hope.
4. A view within the Fort of Monghyr.
5. Ruins of the Fort at Juanpore on the River Goomtee.
6. Mosque at Lucknow.
7. A view at Lucknow.
8. View near Point de Galle, Ceylon.
9. Pagoda at Ramisseram.
10. Pagoda at Tanjore.
11. Pagoda at Trinchicunum.
12. Riacotta in the Baramahal.
14. Ancient excavations at Carli.
15. The Town of Dixan in Abyssinia.
16. The Town of Abha in Abyssinia.
17. View near the village of Asceriah in Abyssinia.
18. Mucculla in Abyssinia.
19. The Pass of Atbara in Abyssinia.
20. The Obelisk at Axum.
21. The Mountains of Samayut.
22. The Vale of Calaat.
23. View of Grand Cairo.
24. The Pyramids at Cairo.