Robert Hermann Schomburgk.
Twelve Views in the Interior of Guiana...
- London: Ackermann & Co., 1841.
- Abbey Travel 720; Cundall, West Indies No.1542; Sabin 77796; Tooley 447; Bobins 02.
Folio, lithographed pictorial title, map of Guiana and 12 tinted lithographed plates by Hullmandel after Bentley, text by Schomburgk. Illustrated wood engravings in text, title laid down on upper board of later green cloth gilt binding. Spotting throughout.
Professional repairs to upper board, cloth, hinges. Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool (Ronnorn@aol.com)
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. The Comuti, or Taquiari Rock.
3. Ataraipu, The Devil's Rock.
4. Pirara and Lake Amucu. The Site of El Dorado.
5. Pure-Piapa, a remarkable Basaltic Column in Guiana.
6. Roraima, a remarkable Range of Sandstone Mountains in Guiana.
7. Purumama, the Great Fall of the River Parima.
8. Junction of the Kundanama with the Paramu.
9. Esmeralda on the Orinoco.
10. Brazilian Fort St. Gabriel on the Rio Negro.
11. Itabru, and Christmas Cataracts, on the River Berbice.
12. Watu Ticaba, a Wapistana Village.
13. Caribi Village Anai, near the River Rupununi.