Travels and Adventures in Southern Africa...
- London: H. Colburn, 1827.
- Abbey Travel 329; Gay 3058; Gordon-Brown pp.26, 86, 98 vol IV pp.493-4; Bobins 1126.
FIRST EDITION. Quarto, map of South Africa, plan of Cape Town and the Village of Graaff-Reinet, 20 coloured lithographed plates, along with 17 wood-cut illustrations set in text. Vignette chapter headers, double page frontispiece. Many plates in 2 states; coloured and uncoloured. Modern morocco with ornate gilt tooling to boards, raised bands in gilt, gilt rule to compartments, inner dentelles in gilt, lettered in gilt, marbled endpapers. Card of 'James Thompson, Trinity Coll. Camb' (descendant?) to front pastedown. Protected by a black cloth slipcase.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. View of Cape Town.
2. Thornhill, near Port Frances.
3. Grahams Town.
4. The Gnoo & Quagga.
5. Peclu (Bushman).
6. The Peetsho.
7. Teysho (Warrior).
8. Matclhapee Warrior & Woman.
9-10. View(s) in the Cango Cavern by torch light.
11. Spring Bok and Koodoo.
12. Wild Dogs of South Africa.
14. View of the Mansion of D. van Reenen Esq.
16. Commercial Exchange.
17. Table Bay in a Gale.