John Thomas Serres (trans).
The Little Sea Torch: or, True Guide for Coasting Pilots [...] Coasts of England, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Sicily...
- London: for the author by J. Debrett, 1801.
- Abbey Life 344; Tooley; Bobins 835; Prideaux p.274-75, 352
- 20 + 24
FIRST ENGLISH EDITION. Folio. Later blue cloth, lettered in gilt to spine. Bookplates of 'Norman. R. Bobins' & Admiral 'Sir Erasmus Ommanney' to front pastedown. 20 hand coloured aquatint plates of shipping, coastlines, lighthouses; 24 hand coloured maps on 12 sheets. Superb plates by Serres, the drawing master at the Naval School at Chelsea. He became Marine Painter to the King and draughtsman to the Admiralty in 1793.
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Start Point N.E. by N / The Bolt Head W.N.W. / Dunnose W. by N. / Dover N.E. half N. / South Foreland &c / Dover Harbour / Calais Town and Cliff.
2. Toulinguet Rock / Conquet and St. Matthew's Point / Camaret Bay / The Lizard / Ushant S.E. by E. / Bec du Raz S.S.W. / St. Matthew's Point N. three quarter W. / Bertheaume Bay E.N.E. / The Goulet of Brest E half S. / Cape Prior E by N. / Cape Ortigal S.E. half S. / Old Harry / Ushant E.N.E.
3. North Foreland / South Foreland / Dover from the Roads / Sundown Castle, Downs / Beech Head from the S.W. / Beech Head N. by W. / The Bill of Portland.
4. The Berry Head S.W. / The Ram Head W.N.W. / Plymouth Mewstone / The Needles East / St. Alban's Head W by N. / Peveral Point N by E. / Bolt Head W.N.W.
5. Ram Head E.S.E. / Ram Head N. by W. / Plymouth Sound North. / Mewstone N by E. / Stoke Point S.E. by E. / Moddicombe N.E. by E. / Burr Island E. by S. half S. / Ram Head N.W. half N. / Ram Head West. / Mewstone / Yalme Church N.E. / Stoke Point W.N.W. / Bolt Head from the S.E.
6. Bolt Tail S. by E. / Bolt Head S.S.E. half S. / Bolt Head S.E. half S. / Bolt Head E. by S. / Looe Island E.N.E. / Looe Island North / Stoke Point N.W. / Burr Island E.N.E. / Bolt Head E.S.E. / Burr Island E.S.E. / Bolt Tail N.N.W. / Bolt Head N.E. / Bolt Tail North Bolt Tail N.N.W. half N.
7. Gibraltar W. by half N. / Gibraltar S.W. by W. / Gibraltar N.W. by N.
8. Of Gibraltar.
9. Of the Rock of Lisbon.
10. Genoa and Cape Fino, East / Porto Venere / Belem Castle / Porto Fino, West / Port of Leghorn.
11. Eddystone Lighthouse / Leghorn Lighthouse / Cordovan Lighthouse / Chafferon Lighthouse / Genoa Lighthouse / Balaine Lighthouse.
12. Corrunna Lighthouse / Mount Vesuvius / Island of Ischia / Cape Antefer / Naples Lighthouse / Dublin Lighthouse / Caprea Island / Stromboli.
13. The Lizard N by W. / The Lizard N.E. / Land's End N half W. / The Lizard N.N.W. / Pendennis Castle / St. Maw's Castle E.S.E. / Coast near Falmouth / Dodman's Head / Dodman's Head N.W. by W. / Pendennis Castle N by W. / Black Head / Manacles Point / Port Mellon / Mevegezzey Bay / Ram's Head E.S.E.
14. Start N. by E. / Prawl Point E.N.E. / The Start N.W. by W. / Prawl Point E.N.E. / S.E. end oF Gaspey N.W. / Guernsey E. by S. / Hanois Point N.W. by N.
15. Of Ushant / Calshot Castle / Hurst Castle / The Start West / The Start W.N.W.
16. Folkestone Head N.W. half W. / Dungeness East / High Land of Dungarven W. by N. / Old Harry, Swanage Bay.
17. Nice / Villa Franca Lighthouse / Cannes Lighthouse.
18. Bay of Naples / The Gulph of Spezzia / New Mole of Gibraltar.
19. Palermo / Malta.
20. Salerno / Port of Messina / Gulph of Salerno.
List of Charts.
4. Port Louis.
6. Ferrol and Corunna.
18. Porto Ferajo.
23. Porto Vecchio.