SEALE, Robert F.
The Geognosy of the Island of St. Helena, illustrated in a series of views, plans and sections; accompanied with explanatory remarks and observation.
- London: Sedding & Turle for Ackermann & Co., 1834.
- Not in Tooley, Abbey Travel I, 317; BM(NH) IV, p.1889. Bobins 113
FIRST EDITION. Oblong folio, title, verso blank; dedication, verso blank; list of subscribers (55 subscribers for 104 copies), 1 leaf, verso with list of plates; text, pages (7) to 25, 11 full page lithographed plates after Seale, drawn on stone by M. Gauci, printed by Graf & Soret, all coloured by hand, 8 unsigned coloured lithographed illustrations in the text, 4 hand coloured, 2 tinted by hand, original cloth with contemporary half cross-grain burgundy calf and brown cloth, gilt ruled, upper board gilt lettered, re-backed in modern cloth box. Magnificent illustrations of the extraordinary geology of St Helena. Seale was born on the island and later in the employ of the East India Company worked under Henry Brooke, perhaps the island’s best known historian. In 1836 he was appointed first Colonial Secretary under the Crown, but was dismissed in 1838 and died suddenly in the following year. 104 copies were subscribed, of which the East India Company dedicatees ordered 40 copies. Book plate of 'Sir William Young, Bart' to front paste down.
Coloured plates in order:
1. View of the Island of St. Helena, bearing S.W. by W. distant 10 Miles.
2. Coast neat Thompson's Point.
3. Cavern at Thompson's Point.
4. Flagstaff & Barnhills with Sugar-loaf in the distance...
5. The walls of a vast and ancient Crater (set in text.)
6. Part of the coast near Flagstaff hill.
7. Section of Hill between Flagstaff & the Barn from N.W. to S.E.
8. Basaltic-strata in the Barn.
9. Longitudinal section of the Barn representing numerous intersections
of Vertical at 1600 feet above the level of the Sea.
10. Section of a part of the remarkable flat called "Churchyard"....
11. The Asses Ears / Lott's Wife (Siliceous Basaltic Columns.)
12. Lott (Basaltic Column.)
13. The Chimney (Basaltic Column.)
14. Sandy Bay.