SILVER, Jacob Mortimer Wier.
Sketches of Japanese Manners and Customs.
- London: Day and Son Ltd., 1867.
- Lipperheide 1562; Bobins 306; not in Abbey Travel; Colas 2743.
Quarto; chromolithographed title, 51pp, 18 woodcut vignettes set in text, 27 chromolithographed plates after traditional drawings by a local Japanese artist. Contemporary half calf in gilt rule over brown cloth boards, spine in decorative gilded compartments. Black title label to spine, all edges gilt, bookplate of 'William E. Stuart' to front pastedown. Good condition. The traditional Japanese drawings in this work are very beautiful.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. Festival in Honour of the Birth of Children.
3. Merchant's Great Festival.
4. Otinta Sama.
5. A Fire Brigade on its way to a Fire.
6. A Japanese Wedding.
7. A Daimio paying a State Visit.
8. A Daimio and family witnessing Fireworks.
9. A Minister of the Mikado on a religious expedition.
10. Theatrical performance in front of the Mikado's Palace.
11. Ladies of the Mikado's Court performing the Butterfly Dance.
12. The Tycoon's Messengers reading the sentence.
13. The Sacrifice.
14. A Daimio's Funeral.
15. Cremation of the Body.
16. Relatives collecting Ashes.
17. Public Wrestling in the Great Amphitheatre at Yedo.
18. Interior of a Theatre.
19. Mode of conducting a Criminal to execution.
20. Lonins, or Outlaws robbing a rich merchant's house.
21. Exposure for Infidelity.
22. Selling Indulgences by Public Auction.
23. Praying a Soul out of Purgatory.
24. Sudangee, or Last Offices.
25. A Bakers Shop.
26. A Tea House Merry-Making.
27. Uya, or Bath House.
28. A Flower Show.