Sketches in Egypt.
- London: Dickinson & Son, 1845.
- Abbey Travel 271; Ibrahim-Hilmy Vol 2, 119; Gay 2497; Blackmer 1313; Atabey 956; Bobins 157.
FIRST EDITION, large folio, list of subscribers, dedication, preface, 12 tinted lithographed plates hand coloured. Later 3/4 green morocco by Sangorski & Sutcliffe with twin gilt filets to boards, gilt to spine. FIRST and only edition. Pilleau travelled to Egypt in company with Lieut. George Everest, former surveyor-general of India. Plates illustrate ancient Egyptian temples and monuments.
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Island of Philae.
2. Temple and Propylaea on the Island of Philae.
3. Temple of Koum Ombou.
4. Temple of Edfou.
5. Interior of the Great Hall of Karnac (Thebes).
6. Interior of the Great Hall of Karnac from a different Point of View.
7. Obelisk and Propylaea at Luxor (Thebes).
8. Ruins at Luxor (Thebes).
9. Temple at Medinet Abou (Thebes).
10. The Two Colossi (Thebes).
11. Interior of the Temple of Denderah.
12. Approach to the Great Pyramids of Geza.