LEWIS, John Frederick.
Sketches and Drawings of the Alhambra, made during a Residence in Granada, in the Years 1833-34.
- London: Hodgson , Boys and Graves, printed by C. Hullmandel's Lithographic Establishment, [c. 1835].
- Lipperheide 1221; Hardie p.246; Abbey Travel 148; Bobins 566.
- 25 + 1
Folio, Lithographed dedication page; no printed title page (possibly not called for), litho title showing the Fountain of Lions; 25 hand coloured lithographed plates mounted on to card. In a 3/4 red morocco, gilt over marbled boards. Gilt in rule, raised bands and letters to spine, marbled endpapers, all edges gilt. John Lewis was the son of the aquatint engraver F.C. Lewis - and was much praised by Ruskin, in company with Proust, in a passage from 'Elements of Drawing' (1857) that show the common view of lithography: "Let no lithographic work come into the house if you can help it, nor even look at any except Prout's and those of Lewis's". Furthermore, Ruskin calls Lewis the "painter of greatest power, next to Turner, in the English school", and says of him, "No artist that ever I read of was treated with such injustice by the people of his time as John Lewis".
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Alhambra from the Albay.
2. Puerta de Justitia.
3. Puerta del Vino.
4. Sierra Nevada and Part of the Alhambra.
5. Casa de Farcito Sanchez.
6. Patio de los Arrayanes.
7. [Patio de los Arrayanes & Palace of Charles V].
8. [Patio de los Arrayanes & Torre de Comares].
9. Entrance to the Hall of Ambassadors.
10. Window in the Hall of Ambassadors.
11. Door of the Hall of Ambassadors.
12. Torre de Comares.
13. Entrance to the Banos.
14. Sala de las dos Hermannas.
15. [Entrance to the Sala de las dos Hermannas].
16. Patio de los Leones.
17. Entrance to the Hall of the Abencerrages.
18. Sala de los Abencerrages.
19. Patio de los Leones from the Hall of the Abencerrages.
20. Patio de los Leones.
21. Entrance to the Mosque.
22. Patio de la Mesquita.
23. Casa di Chapi.
24. Torre de las Infantas.
25. Alhambra from the Alameda del Darro.
26. The Fountain of Lions (small litho).