[GIGAULT DE LA SALLE, Achille Etienne.]
Select Views in Sicily...
- London: John Neale, 1825.
- Abbey Travel 264; Bobins 583.
4to, title, 36 hand coloured aquatint plates, titled in French and English, many engravers, in contemporary 1/4 burgundy calf, marbled sides, brown linen cloth covered boards, lettered in gilt to spine. Bookplate of 'Norman R. Bobins' to front pastedown. AN UNCOMMON WORK. This is an English version of the 'Voyage Pittoresque en Sicilie (1822-26). (See Bobins # 5527).
Coloured plates in order:
1. The Cyclops Rocks.
2. Temple of Juno Lucina of Agrigentum.
3. View of Sala di Partenico.
4. Ruins of Tyndaris.
5. View of the Port of Tusa.
6. View of the Interior of the Crater of Etna.
7. View of Termini.
8. View of the Port of Catania.
9. View of the Bay of Termini.
10. Remains of a Temple at Salinus.
11. View of Taormina taken from the Village of Giardini.
12. Entrance of the Museum of Prince Biscaris at Catania.
13. View of Messina and the Straito.
14. View of Cape Alessio.
15. View of Jaci and the Straits of Messina.
16. Exterior view of the Chapel of St. Rosalia at Palermo.
17. Etna seen from the House of Gemellaro.
18. View of the Remains of the Temple of Aesculapius at Agrigentum.
19. View of the Latomiae of Syracuse.
20. View of part of the site of Ancient Agrigentum.
21. View of Messina taken from the Height of the Telegraph.
22. View of the Temple of Juno-Lucina, and the Ruins of the Ancient Walls of Agrigentum.
23. Aqueductat La Bagaria, near Palermo.
24. View of the Convent of the Capuchins at Taormina.
25. Staircase of the Theatre of Catania.
26. View of Etna and the Gulf of Milazzo.
27. View of Monte-Rosso from San-Nicolosi.
28. Distant View of the Temple of Segesta.
29. Cathedral of Palermo.
30. View of Syracuse taken from the Theatre.
31. View of the Chapel of San-Salvatore at Catania.
32. Interior of the Convent of Santa Maria di Gesu, near Palermo.
33. Crater of Etna.
34. The Fountain Cyane at Syracuse.
35. View of the Harbour of Girgenth.
36. Convent of Benedictin Nuns at Sciatica.