MCNIVEN, Major Thomas William Ogilvy.
Panoramic View of Corfu.
- London: Robert Havell, 1836.
- Not in Abbey. Bobins 1095.
Oblong 8vo, panoramic copper engraved plate an aquatint, after a watercolour by Robert Havell and published by his own publishing company. Brown cloth boards with morocco and gilt title label to upper board. 5 plates combine to form a fine panoramic view of Corfu. This would appear to be a scarce panoramic view of Corfu. Not listed in Abbey’s collection of panoramas. The quality of the engraving and colouring is high as would be expected from Havell.
Coloured plates in order:
(From left to right)
1. Chimariot Mountains, Lbania / Island of Vido / Asia line of Battle Ship.
2. Palace of the Lord High Chief Commissioner / Church of Spiliaticca / Church of St. Spiridiano / Citadel / Palace of Justice / Port Raymond Barracks / Actium / Old Venetian Wall / Port Royal / Paxo / Makin a Vento.
3. Mount Ascension / Castrades / Village of St. Rocca / Monte St. Decca / Lago di Calichiopulo / Road to Castellarus.
4. Fort Abram / Monte Pelica / Village of Potomas / Manducchio / Old Venetian Harbour / Pass of Pentaleone.
5. Quarantine Island / Mountain of St. Salvador / Part of Port Neuf Barracks / Mountains of Chimari / Part of the Island of Vido.