Narrative of the Second Voyage in Search of the N.W. Passage, and of a Residence in the Arctic Regions during the Years 1829-1833...and the Discovery of the Northern Magnetic Pole.
- London: A.W. Webster, 1835.
- Abbey Travel 636; Sabin 73381; Staton & Tremaine 1898; Burgh p. 95; Bobins 61.
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols, 4to, 45 plates (20 in the Appendix vol), of which 21 are coloured, six lithographed others uncoloured steel engravings and three mezzotints, two plates expressly signed printed in colours, probably black and blue with red added by hand, five charts, folding map [together with] Appendix, 1835 in 2nd vol., original blue cloth covers over boards, spine gilt, lettered within a decorative border. Bookplate of 'Norman. R. Bobins' to front pastedown. Vol 2 has a fresh new cloth spine, and reinforced corners. Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool (Ronnorn@aol.com)
Coloured plates in order:
1. [Map] Chart of the Discoveries made in the Arctic Regions between 1829-33...(folding).
2. Andrewross Island.
3. Felix Harbour.
4. First Communication.
5. North Hendon.
6. Ikmalick and Apelagliu. [Eskimos]
7. Shulanina / Tulluachiu / Tirikshiu. [Eskimos]
8. Umingmak (Commander Ross killing a Musk Bull).
9. Somerset House; Transverse Section & Longitudinal Section.
10. Ground floor plan (of Somerset House).
11. Nimna Himna, called by the Men Old Greedy. [Eskimo].
12. Alictu and Kanguagiu [Eskimos].
13. Kawalua / Tiagashu / Adlurak [Eskimos].
14. Illictu / Ootogia [Eskimos].
15. Kunana [Eskimo].
16. Manellia / Adelik [Eskimos].
17. Kemig [Eskimo].
18. Kanayoke [Eskimo].
19. Konyaroklick / Neweetioke [Eskimos].
20. Udlia / Awitigin / Palurak [Eskimos].
21. Arctic Fox.
22. [Assorted Insects - including bees, butterflies, moths etc] (18 figs).