WINTER, George Robert (Illust).
Eton and Oxford. A few familiar scenes sketched from recollection, after an interval of several years....
- Oxford: J. Ryman, 1850.
- Abbey Scenery 436 cites a 4to edition with the first six of these places & No. 285 cites an Oxford edition with the second six of these plates; Bobins 901; Tooley 512; Lowndes, p.265.
Folio, 12 hand coloured lithographed plates, 1/4 red morocco over red cloth by Birdsall. From the library of Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. (Bookplate) 12 plates of Eton, and 12 of Oxford. Loose insert is the typed letter to the Duke, offering him this work from Frank Sabin in Knightsbridge, dated 18th June, 1953. Some water staining and light foxing throughout.
Coloured plates in order:
1. A Scene on the Brocas - 4th of June.
2. Speeches in Upper School.
3. Football 'At the Wall'.
4. The Road to Montem - "Salt".
5. Cricket Match.
6. My Tutor's Sweepstakes.
7. The Hunting Breakfast.
8. A Galop with em Hills from Bradwell Grove.
9. Scene on the River. A Race Night.
10. Bulling don on a Summer's Afternoon.
11. "Your Name and College Sir?" - Scene with the Proctor.
12. A Scene in the Great Go School.