HOFLAND, T.C. and Mrs. HOFLAND.
Descriptive Account of the Mansion and Gardens of White-Knights, a Seat of His Grace the Duke of Marlborough.
- London: printed for his Grace the Duke of Marlborough by W. Wilson, .
- Abbey Scenery 425; Tooley 268. Bobins 666.
Folio, title, dedication, introduction 8 ll., text and subtitles, pp. 15 -151, p. 152 with imprint W. Wilson, Printer, 8 hand coloured aquatint plates, 15 etched plates, contemporary calf, roll-tooled borders in gilt and blind, spine gilt in compartments. Re-backed with original spine laid down. Book plate of' Petersen' to front pastedown. All edges gilt. Extremities worn. Boards scuffed. All plates signed T.C. Hofland delt. [pinxt]. It seems that the text was written by Mrs. Hofland. The Marquis of Blandford (later the 5th Duke of Marlborough) took up residence at the manor of Earley St. Nicholas or Earley Regis, with the nickname of “White Knights”, which had been in the De Erlegh family for about two hundred years. Between 1798 and 1819 the estate was the scene of extravagance and wild entertainments. It became the most celebrated estate in the Country, magnificently furnished, displaying many great masters with a wonderful wine cellar and an unrivalled library. The splendid gardens, beautifully laid out with the rarest of plants, were its greatest attraction. The Duke went bankrupt in 1819 and retired to Blenheim.
Colour plates in order:
1. The Gothic Garden.
2. View of White-Knights from the Woods.
3. A Scene from the North Front of White-Knights.
4. The Rustic Bridge.
5. The Grotto.
6.-7 The Spring. (2 views)
8. The Spring Cottage.