[KINLOCH, Charles Walker].
De Zieke Reiziger, or, Rambles in Java and the Straits in 1852 by a Bengal Civilian.
- London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., Calcutta: Thacker & Spink, 1853.
- Abbey Travel 556; Batin & Brommer 406 n; Bobins 296.
Octavo; half title pictorial lithographed title, litho map of the island of Java, uncoloured, 24 coloured lithographed plates, original brown pictorial cloth embossed in gilt to upper board, and in blind to lower board. Blind stamped spine with letters in gilt. Bookplate to front pastedown of 'Ex Libris H.H. Bonkers'. Kinloch visited Penang, Singapore and Java n 1852, returning to Calcutta in the October of that year. Most plates were after Kinloch's own drawings. As well as showing architecture, the plates show natural history, with plates of tea, coffee plants and nutmeg on the tree, together with costume and topographical plates.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Title page.
2. Penang, from Richmond Hill.
3. Singapore, from the East side of Government Hill.
4. A sketch from Cummings Bukit, Singapore.
5. A Javanese Man of the poorer class / A Javanese Woman, a lady's maid.
6. Dutch Church at Batavia.
7. A Javanese Ciachman.
8. The Salok Mountain, from the Buitenzorg Hotel.
9. Javanese Mosque, at Bandong.
10. The Tea Plant.
11. The Coffee Plant.
12. Soemadang Hotel, from the bridge.
13. A Woman of Cheribon.
14. Cheribon, as seen from the Steamer Koningen.
15. Passengrang at Bomiagoe.
16. A village near Kubooman.
17. Head of a figure on the right side of the sketch of Boro abodir Temple / Figure near Boro Bodor.
18. Interior of the Temple of Tjandie.
19. The entrance to Bodor Temple.
20. Tjandie, Dapor, near Boro Bodor.
21. The Nutmeg, just beore it drops.
22. Singapore, from the West side of Government Hill.
23-24. A sketch of the Penang Hill.