Carlisle in the Olden Time, a Series of Views of Ancient Public Buildings.
- Carlisle: Charles Thurnam, London: Ackermann & Co., 1835.
- Abbey Scenery 88; Bobins 883.
FIRST EDITION. Folio, text 44pp. 14 colour lithographed plates, plus hand coloured frontispiece and title. Modern half maroon leather over olive cloth; red leather label lettered in gilt to upper board, fresh endpapers, fresh spine in gilt. MS signature to front free endpaper.
Rebinding and restoration work on this book was carried out by Ron Norman of Hartlepool (Ronnorn@aol.com)
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. The Cathedral, from the Abbey.
2. Vignette to title page. The Market Cross and Old Guard House.
3. Carlisle from near Stanwix Bank.
4. Carlisle from Primrose Bank.
5. The Irish Gate.
6. The Scotch Gate.
7. The English Gate & Old Gaol.
8. The Citadel.
9. The Deanery, with part of the West Walls and Refectory.
10. The Abbey Gate.
11. The Cloisters.
12. The Long Hall, & Chapel, in the Castle.
13. The Half Moon Battery, Bridge & Moat in the Castle.
14. The Inner Gate of the Castle.
15. The Castle with the Old Trees on the Lady's Walk.
16. The Town Hall of Carlisle in 1780.
17. The Trades' Guilds.