BLAGDON, Francis William.
Authentic Memoirs of the Late George Morland...together with a Facsimile of his Writing, Specimens of his Heiroglific Sketches, &c.
- London: Barnard & Sultzer for Edward Orme, 1806.
- Abbey Life 208; Tooley 91; Bobins 688.
Folio, hand coloured portrait frontispiece of the artist, and 20 engraved plates - some colour printed and some hand coloured. Modern half black morocco over maroon cloth boards with matching title label in gilt to upper board, raised bands in gilt to spine, fresh endpapers. Tooley describes this work as "an extremely scarce book". Many different engraving processes were used; aquatint, soft-ground etching, stipple and mezzotint, these latter are colour-printed, others hand coloured. Most plates are not captioned.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Frontispiece. [George Morland.]
[Facsimile drawing of a Pig on a plate.]
2. [Rustic Scene: Cottage and Cart.]
3. [Alehouse seat.]
4. [Horse Drinking.]
6. [Stable &c.]
7. [Rustic Scene: Haymakers by a stile.]
8. [Horse & Ostler.]
9. [Water Mill.]
10. [Two children picking flowers.]
11. The Rustic Hovel.
12. The Cottage Sty.
13. [Pony and Figures in Rain.]
14. [Rustic Scene: Two women, two men & stile.]
15. Ass & Pigs.
16. Morland's Ass.
18. As Ass Race.
19. A Mad Bull.
20. [Rustic Bridge &c.]