An Historical and Descriptive Account of Antigua...
- London: Henry Baylis for the author, 1830.
- This work is not in Abbey, or Tooley. Bobins 14.
- 7 + 3
Oblong folio, errata slip, advertisement slip, half title, hand coloured linen-backed map, 7 fine hand coloured aquatint plates. Half straight-grained wine morocco blind-stamped and gilt ruled, decorative purple morocco title label laid down on upper board, gilt to spine, new endpapers. A RARE WORK. The author's plan was to publish a large series of views in the West Indies with each part containing images and descriptions of the islands. The plan seems to have been abandoned after three parts because objections were made to the form in which these W.I. views were published. Apparently purchasers wanted to be able to buy individual islands. There was apparently difficulty in obtaining subscribers. A depressed Johnson wrote that so few people had come forward that he was not sure if it was worth printing the list of subscribers.
Coloured plates in order:
1. [Map] A New and Improved map of the Island of Antigua in the West Indies (folding).
2. [Map] Outline Chart of the Caribbee Islands...
3. [Map] A Geological map of Antigua.
4. Saint John's, Antigua, from Otto's.
5. Saint John's Harbour, Antigua, from the Southward and Eastward.
6. View near Saint John's, Antigua, from Gamble's.
7. View of Saint John's Harbour, Antigua, from Friar's Hill.
8. View in Old North Sound, Antigua, from Mount Joy.
9. View in Old North Sound, Antigua, from Freemans.
10. English Harbour, Antigua, from Great George Fort, Monks Hill.