African Scenery and Animals at the Cape of Good Hope [BOUND WITH] A Picturesque Illustration of the Scenery, Animals and Native Inhabitants of the Island of Ceylon.
- London: by the author, 1804 & T.Bensley,  - 1808.
- Abbey Travel I, 321 & 410; Mendelssohn I, p.411; Nissen ZBI 1035; Tooley 168 & 170; Bobins 91 & 92; De Silva pp.2-23.
3 parts in one, large oblong folio, mounted on guards, without text, 2 aquatint section titles, 30 fine hand coloured aquatint plates by Samuel and William Daniel, on thick paper. [and] 11 hand coloured aquatint plates, with 1 soft ground etching. Contemporary green morocco with ornate gilt borders, spine decorative in gilt, raised bands, with the Armorial Arms of Beriah Botfield to boards - from the Longleate Library sale. Bookplate of 'Norman R Bobins' to front pastedown. "The scarcest and most valuable of the large atlas folios of South African illustration" (Mendelssohn). Samuel Daniell was the younger brother of William, and nephew of Thomas. His interest in natural history gained him a post in the Cape Colony soon after colonisation by the British. [and] Samuel Daniell arrived in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in 1805 aboard the H.M.S. Greyhound. His views of Ceylon are rated highly. It is difficult to make a choice of the masterpiece among these plates.
Coloured plates in order:
1. Sepia section title page.
2. A Korah Hottentot Village on the Left Bank of the Orange River.
3. Bush-Men Hottentots Armed for an Expedition.
4. The Gnoo.
5. A Kaffer Village.
6. Kaffers on a March.
7. The Koodoo.
8. A Boosh-Wannah Hut.
9. Boosh Wannah's.
10. The Pallah.
11. New Theatre, Hottentot Square.
12. Boors returning from hunting.
13. The Hippopotamus.
14. The Military Station at Algoa Bay.
15. [Portraits] A Hottentot / A Hottentot Woman / A Kaffre / A Kaffre Woman.
16. The Quahkah.
17. Sectional title page.
18. A Boor's House.
19. Halt of a Boors Family.
20. The Spring-Bok, or Leaping Antelope.
21. Scene in Sitsikamma.
22. Korah Hottentots preparing to remove.
23. The African Hog.
24. The Town of Leetakoo.
25. Booshuana Women Manufacturing Earthen Ware.
26. The Tackhaitse.
27. Cascade of Sneuwberg.
28. Bosjemans frying Locusts.
29. The Klip Springer.
30. View of the Lion's Head.
31. [Portraits] A Bosjeman / A Bosjewoman / A Booshuana Woman / A Booshuana Man.
32. The African Rhinoceros.
33. Distant View of Trincomale.
34. The Spotted Antelope.
35. A Maha Modliar and Toddy Gatherer.
36. View between Galle & Mattura.
37. Wild Boar.
38. Water Carrier.
39. The Ferry at Caltura.
40. The Elk.
41. A Gentoo Chitty Man & Woman.
42. The Fishing Cove near Columbo.
43. The Elephant.
44. A Singaleze Man & Woman.