GRINDLAY, Capt Robert Melville.
Scenery, Costumes and Architecture chiefly on the Western side of India.
- London: R. Ackermann [Smith Elder & Co.], 1826 .
- Abbey Travel 442; Archer, p. 7; Colas 1333; Martin Hardie pp. 94, 115, 149, 314; Prideaux p. 121, 248-9, 338, 376; Tooley (1954) no. 239; Bobins I, 251.
2 vols, folio, introduction, engraved titles, 36 hand coloured aquatint plates, and uncoloured lithograph title page to volume 2. Contemporary straight grained red morocco, with elaborate gilt filleting and blind stamped borders with gilt cornerpieces, central panels, entirely covered with interlaced blindstamping, spine raised bands, gilt ruled and lettered, narrow inner gilt dentelles, all gilt edges.
Colour plates in order:
1. Vignette title page.
2. Scene in Bombay.
3. Approach of the Monsoon, Bombay Harbour.
3. The shaking Minarets at Ahmedabad.
4. Ancient Temple at Hulwud.
5. The Rajah of Cutch and his Vassals.
6. The Mountains of Aboo, in Guzerat.
7. Scene in Bombay.
8. Approach to the Bore Ghaut.
9. View in the Bore Ghaut.
10. View from the top of the Bore Ghaut.
11. Dowlutabad, the Ancient Deo Gurh.
12. Great excavated Temple at Ellora.
13. Preparations for a Suttee; or the Immolation of a Hindoo Widow.
14. Tombs of the Kings at Golconda.
15. Hermitage at Currungalle.
16. Fortress of Bowrie, in Rajpootana.
17. A North-West view of the Fort of Bombay.
18. Morning view from Callain, near Bombay.
[Uncoloured title page]
19. The Residency of Hyderabad.
20. The Roza at Mehmoodabad, in Guzerat; or Tomb of the Vizier of Sultan Mehmood.
21. Fishing Boats in the Monsoon, northern part of Bombay Harbour.
22. A view of the Bridge near Baroda, in Guzerat.
23. The Town and Pass of Boondi, in Rajpootana.
24. A view near Tonk, in Rajpootana.
25. Interior of the Cave-Temple of Indra Subba, at Ellora.
26. Scene in Kattiawar, Travellers and Escort.
27. View in the Island of Ceylon.
28. Aurugabad, from the Ruins of Aurungzebe's Palace.
29. Entrance of the Great Cave-Temple of Elephanta, near Bombay.
30. Interior of the Great Cave-Temple of Elephanta, near Bombay.
31. Sassier in the Deccan.
32. The Sacred Town and Temples of Dwarka.
33. Exterior of the Great Cave-Temple of Elephanta, near Bombay.
34. The Great Triad, in the Cave-Temple of Elephanta, near Bombay.
35. View of the City and Fortress of Tonk, in Rajpootana.
36. Portico of a Hindoo Temple, with other Hindoo and Mahometan Buildings.